If you're like me then you work hard for what you want. Your motto is probably similar to mine >> "If it's going to be, it's up to me."
Growing up, some people thought I was born with a horseshoe up my ----. Ha! That was so not the case and it certainly is not the case even today. I've been through a multitude of "tough" times where some I really felt I wanted to be hospitalized for a nervous breakdown...but, my spirit and my body conspired against me. 😉 I kept standing and moving...forward.
Goals push me to do what I need to do. There is no one else who will do it for me. Not my husband. Not my family. Not my friends. Not my kids. Not anybody. The outcome of my life is a direct result of what I do and don't do.
Back in 2009, when my corporate career in Information Technology (as an IT Manager) fell apart when the company I was work for laid off 90 people in one shot, I had that HUGE feeling and sense of "F*&! What do I do now!?" I'm pretty sure I said that out loud...a few times.
I was a single mother at the time. I just bought a home a few months prior to losing my career. I got LAID off without a settlement -- not even a package to see me through until I found a new job or help me with daycare fees. On top of that, a few of us had to pay out of our own pockets to sue the company for wrongful layoff. We won. But, the matter did not settle until several months later.
What did I do during those times where the economy was down and no one was hiring? I became an entrepreneur.
I had a home -- without income. I had a child that I couldn't send to daycare. I opened up my home to strangers and became a childcare provider. Within a month, I had pretty good income. The best bonus was I was able to spend quality time with my daughter who was only four at the time.
I did what I had to do to meet my goal of making money while caring for my child and paying the mortgage. Being a childcare provider taught me a lot in patience, perseverance, relationships, entrepreneurship that my IT career never did.
And...I never looked back. My IT career was the last actual salaried job I ever had.
Between 2009 and 2013, many things had happened:
- I got married and we are now a family of four plus a dog! 😀
- I learned how to juggle a very busy family life and business life -- without erupting like a volcano. (hmmm, well...)
- I became a full-on small business owner and built a traditional brick and mortar business from scratch and grossing over $280,000 annually.
- I learned how to manage my "own" people, how to network, how to market the business (creatively with zero budget and paid), how to really stand on your own two feet...and, I gained real RESPECT for business owners. Owning one's own business, especially a traditional brick and mortar business, is certainly a LOT harder than having a job but the rewards can be tremendous!
- I lived through a real example of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and lost. We expanded the business by adding another location and spent pretty much all the profits from the first location to open the second location...only to close it within the first year. Ouch! Royal ouch! We got greedy and it bit us, very badly.
- I "dabbled" in network marketing to add another stream of income. That "dabbling" started bringing me over $2.5k a month in less than three short months and propelled me into leadership position! I'm pretty sure that the marketing skills I applied in building my network marketing business helped a lot! 😉 It paid for my car, my office rent, for family vacations,...Some events led me to disengage after a couple of years. However, who knows...I might just get back on that saddle! It was fun. I enjoyed the relationships I made -- and, the residual income, too!
Fast forward to 2016, all the things I've been through (and didn't kill me) and have learnt in building a business I've been able to apply to others' businesses (i.e. coaches, consultants, retail owners, franchisors, franchisees, etc.). My business today is all about helping other entrepreneurs and small business owners grow and market their businesses -- no fluff.
My goal is to help people like me who really want to do whatever it takes to be their own boss. I help remove the barriers most people have about marketing their business...whether the barrier be on money, on time, on skills,...whatever. I basically show people how to get things done and generate leads for free or almost free -- and, in return, all I want is their commitment to their own goals because, no matter what, it will take blood, sweat and tears to grow a business.
I love being my own boss. I love being able to earn really good income and work anywhere I want to or need to and be available for my family and their multitude of activities and responsibilities.
YOU CAN TOO!
Hanna Helps is meant to be your go-to source for no-fluff, real local marketing and online marketing help -- where you won't need a big budget to succeed. You will just need to be committed to do whatever it takes to grow your business!
Here's to YOUR succcess,
Your Virtual Marketing Coach at Hanna Helps and
CEO and Chief Marketing Strategist at 24/7 Virtual Marketing